Tips for Choosing Your Cosmetic Dentist
Undergoing cosmetic dentistry is a big decision especially if it involves altering the overall look and function of your teeth and gums. Your oral function and aesthetics affect your daily life in major ways so you have to make sure that your number one partner in this endeavor—your cosmetic dentist—is highly qualified and reliable for the job.
What criteria should you consider for your cosmetic dentist? What questions should you ask?
Here are guidelines for choosing your cosmetic dentist.
- Check his/her affiliations. Is he/she a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry? The AACD requires its members to adhere to high ethical standards, and imposes strict membership qualifications based on academic qualifications and skills, so it is a good indicator of your cosmetic dentist’s reliability.
- Ask about his/her training. Make sure your prospective cosmetic dentist finished postgraduate courses specializing in the type of cosmetic dentistry he/she offers.
- Find out how long he/she has been practicing. Aside from length of experience, it is also important to ask about the quality of experience. How does he/she go about each case? Does he/she show before and after photos? Does he/she use dental imaging and other forms of dental technologies? A good cosmetic dentist should be updated and well-versed with the latest developments in the field.
- Check former patient testimonials. Look up your prospective dentist online. Or if you can, ask your cosmetic dentist for happy and satisfied patients whom you can call and ask.
- Decide if you feel comfortable. At the end of the day, your own level of comfort is what will make you choose your cosmetic dentist. Are you happy with the service of the clinic staff? Do you feel comfortable asking questions? Are you comfortable with the overall ambiance of the clinic? Do you feel at ease with your cosmetic dentist? Your answers to these questions will form a large part of your final decision.
Cosmetic Dentistry Financing
Another criteria to consider when choosing your cosmetic dentist are your payment options. Since cosmetic dentistry is normally not covered by insurance policies, it would be extremely helpful to choose a cosmetic dentist who accepts payment plans or cosmetic dentistry financing.
When it comes to cosmetic dentistry financing, a reliable name in the industry is United Medical Credit (UMC). UMC acts as an intermediary between dental care providers and vendors, and prospective patients, including those with less than perfect credit.