Summer is Here—Don’t Forget to Wear Sunscreen!
It’s finally summer, our favorite time of the year. While summer means fun in the sun—swimming, barbeques, and tanning at the beach—it’s important to remember to wear sunscreen!
The long-term benefits of sunscreen will keep you looking younger. Overexposure to the sun is the leading cause of premature aging of the skin, wrinkling, and skin cancer. Whether you’re going to the beach or having a barbeque in your backyard, don’t forget to slather on the SPF. Here are a few tips for wearing sunscreen and keeping your skin safe from overexposure to the sun’s UV rays:
- Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher
- Apply it at least 15-30 minutes before you go outside
- Reapply every two hours and after you swim or do things that make you sweat
- Don’t forget to apply to your ears, feet, and back of the neck – these spots are often forgotten
- Make sure the sunscreen hasn’t expired
- Limit exposure when UV rays are strongest, which is usually between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.